Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Happy Pride Month!

So to kick off LGBT pride month, I thought I'd do a post focusing on some of my all-time favorite LGBT ships from series, both anime and live-action, and describe their relationships as well as pointing out what problematic elements (if any) I spotted with their relationship. I will not include Ashe and Eiji from Banana Fish since that is not confirmed in the show to be a romantic relationship (despite the serious romantic undertones it seems to take), or any other non-canonical ships that I would like to see (e.g. Taiga X Minori from Toradora). I may include more than one couple from the same show.

Sato X Uenoyama MLM (Given)

What I liked: This is a very wholesome couple. Sato is still grieving from the death of his boyfriend when Uenoyama fixes a guitar string for him. The two form a friendship, and become closer as Uenoyama invites Sato to join his band. There are lots of cute moments as Uenoyama discovers his feelings for Sato and as Sato processes his grief so he can learn to love again.

What I found problematic: Not much really. This pairing was pretty well done.

Kaji X Nakayama MLM (Given)

What I liked: I enjoyed seeing Nakayama's character bloom, he was my favorite character on the show. It was a pity that Kaji took so long to acknowledge Nakayama's feelings (it doesn't happen until the movie). 

What I found problematic: Like many BL relationships that feature adult men, there are the usual troubling tropes. For one thing, Nakayama's more feminine appearance already hints at him being a "bottom" long before it is established. Kaji is kind of a jerk some of the time, although he does give good advice to Uenoyama when he's trying to figure out his own feelings for Sato. Can't say much more without spoiling stuff.

George X Mae FLNB (Feel Good)

What I liked: Their characters had good chemistry and felt realistic. Their relationship was also realistic, being full of various types of real-world problems (like George's internalized homophobia and Mae's past with drugs). Their love evolved over time. It started out passionate and interdependent, but over time it blossomed into something more.

What I found problematic: Not much. If I'd choose one thing, it might be that their relationship starts out pretty toxic (both hiding important things from each other), but since it evolves into a healthy relationship, I think it's okay.

Lito X Hernando MLM (Sense8)

What I liked: They are very loving and passionate when they are together. They tackle any problems together when they can. They are very cute together.

What I found problematic: The whole Daniella thing. I understand it was a plot device to get Lito out of the closet, but I found it to be troubling that they took it to the level they did.

Nomi X Amanita FLF (Sense8)

What I liked: Pretty much everything. These two have each others backs. They are in a very stable and loving relationship. They accept one another for who they are. Pretty much the only obstacle to their happiness is when the outside world tries to separate them.

What I found problematic: Didn't really find any problems with this pairing.

Ellie X Aster FLF (The Half of it)

What I liked: Despite Aster not knowing about Ellie's feelings for most of the movie. I liked the relationship we did get to see blossom between the two. It may have leaned more towards the friendship side, but there was definitely an attraction on both sides. Aster is more attracted to intellect anyway.

What I found problematic: Nothing. They didn't take it far enough to introduce any problematic elements and it was very well done.

Charlie X Nick MLM (Heartstopper)

What I liked: Everything. This was such a sweet romance to see blossom. Very wholesome. More chaste than most. Also loved how Nick figures out that he's bisexual because he's still attracted to girls too. Representation matters.

What I found problematic: Nothing really. 

Darcy X Tara: FLF (Heartstopper)

What I liked: Their relationship was very sweet and supportive. Liked how Darcy was able to build Tara back up after people kept trying to deny her sexuality (e.g. 'you don't look like a lesbian') and harassing her because they were homophobic. I liked getting to see that part of their relationship.

What I found problematic: Nothing really.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. If I come up with any more, I'll be sure to add them later.

edited to add:

Sasaki X Miyano: MLM (Sasaki to Miyano)

What I liked: Very sweet school time romance about a high school senior who falls for his junior. Their relationship starts off as friends, although Sasaki is immediately attracted to Miyano. Miyano is a fan of BL (boys love) manga and after recommending one to Sasaki, the older boy finds he likes the story even if he's never read the genre before. This leads to the two of them sharing what they liked about various different stories and the friendship grows. When Sasaki confesses to Miyano, Miyano doesn't know what to think because (despite being a BL fan) he's never considered dating another guy in real life. This leads Miyano on a road to self-discovery. I would classify Miyano as bi, since he was attracted to a girl in middle school. Unlike most BL anime stories this story prioritizes consent.

What I found problematic: Maybe the crossdressing contest the school throws or the way Miyano ships his classmates with one another, but other than that this story was very wholesome and sweet.

guilty pleasure honorable mention:

Takato X Junta: MLM (I'm Being Harassed by the Sexiest Man Alive)

What I found problematic: As the name implies, this story does not have a lot of emphasis on consent. It is the usual BL trope of the top being forceful until the bottom consents. I don't really like this element of the show. I did, however, think that the two of them made a cute couple after the initial problematic stage. Also, there is a scene where Ayagi almost date-rapes Takato, and afterwards Junta thinks he's been cheated on. I didn't care for that one. I was yelling at the screen "No. It's not his fault. He is the victim!"

What I liked: Takato is not your typical weak-willed or weak bottom. He doesn't just going along with whatever Junta wants, and he actually takes the initiative when he thinks Junta is being distant. (It ends up that Junta has a cold that he doesn't want Takato to catch). And he does what he can to try to protect Junta when their relationship is discovered by a tabloid reporter even if it means giving up everything himself. Also, I like it when Takato inadvertently flubs Junta's first name because he's embarassed and then won't admit to flubbing it and creates his very own nickname for him: Chunta. I'd say that Takato was my favorite character, and I liked the dynamic he had with his manager as well. Did not like the character of Ayagi at all. I also loved their backstory about how they met initially and what made Junta fall for Takato in the first place. I kind of wish the story had started there, but I guess they started it the other way for comedic purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment