Friday, June 3, 2022

Weirder Things Have Happened

So the new season of Stranger Things (at least the first part of it) has hit Netflix and of course I can't talk about most of the things about it because it's new and spoilers would be immanent if I were to share my feelings about the show itself. So let us instead, since it is pride month, focus on the one or two LGBT characters the show offers. I say "or two" because it has not been confirmed (as of where I am in the show) what Will's sexuality is (I'm leaning towards ace, but it's cool if he's gay too. JS he's probably not straight).

So Will is portrayed kind of stereotypically if he does end up being gay. That's kind of why I'm hoping he's not to be honest. There does seem to be a little bit of jealousy towards Mike's relationship with El, but that may just be the loss of a good friend (not romantic jealousy) as Will does show legitimate concern over El, showing that he considers her a friend as well. We will see, moving forward. Everything in the show so far (seasons 1-3) has pointed towards Will being LGBT in some regard. Joyce's homophobic ex notwithstanding, I'm not 100% convinced that he's gay. Like I said, he hasn't really shown any interest in romance at all so far.

So that leaves Robin. Robin was introduced last season and (to the delight of all viewers) it turned out she was not a potential love interest for Steve, but the first canonically lesbian character on the show. There is some question as to whether or not Barb was in love with Nancy but it's never confirmed, and she was killed off rather early on. 

Robin is just so many things. I love her character. I love that she is able to translate the Russian message at the mall. I love her huge crush on the other girl in band with her (that's this season, but not really a spoiler since you already knew she was gay). I love that she's a total nerd, but rocks it. She is just an awesome character overall and that she's LGBT, that's just icing on the cake.

Was never a fan of Steve, and if they get him back together with Nancy I'll be super pissed, but I wouldn't mind seeing Nancy and Robin hook up. It's possible that Nancy's bisexual. I did like her best with Jonathan, though. Well, I'm not going to finish this season (or part one of it anyway) tonight, and can't really talk about anything significant anyway. Just that some things are really pissing me off about it and hopefully it ties everything together nicely (but if the second episode is any indication it'll probably just be a massive rewritten history). There is so much we still don't know about the upside down that I hope this season will shed some light on. It would be cool to have a stranger things/ x-files tie-in at the end since we're getting close to time the x-files opened up, but pretty sure that the writers don't have those kind of rights. Ah well, some things just aren't meant to be.

Thanks for tuning in, catch ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment