Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Rising of: Misogyny?

I watched the first episode of Rising of the Shield Hero and while this does seem like it might turn out to be a pretty awesome underdog story in the long run, I find a few elements troubling right off the bat. The first of these is the so-called matriarchy. So I knew about Malty, I had been spoiled so I was expecting it. When she tried to ply him with wine and told him he shouldn't refuse because it was a "matriarchy" I thought to myself that she was obviously using his ignorance to trick him. Because the first thing that stood out to me in this so-called matriarchy was that the place was run by a man. They were brought before a king. All the people summoned were also male, and (in a place where magic exists, mind you) it is assumed that men are more powerful and therefore the rape law's existence. None of these things suggest a place where women hold any sort of power, let alone power that is greater than that of a man. So the only thing I can think is that the writer came up with this matriarchy nonsense to explain why there was such a harsh punishment for rape. There have existed many patriarchal societies in which women have little to no leverage where rape still held the death penalty. The other explanation I can think of is that this is written by a misogynist as a "warning" of sorts kind of like the character Nurse Ratchet was written to suggest that women couldn't be trusted with power in the wake of the women's lib movement in America. I will probably continue the series because I like a good underdog story, but the underlying message does seem to be one that might tend to piss me off at times. When that happens, I'll just come here to rant about whatever and perhaps I will even end up giving the show a high recommendation by the time I'm finished. We'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment