Monday, September 21, 2026

Good Omens: final season

 I finally got around to watching the final episode of Good Omens. After everything that happened concerning one of the co-authors of the original, I wasn't sure if we were going to get one and if it would be any good if we did. The episode started off a bit rocky. A lot of the humor during the first half of the show was hit and miss. I didn't really jive with the whole second coming arc, although some of the Jesus of Nazereth dropped into the modern world bits were amusing. When it really started picking up was when our dynamic duo reconnected and started playing off each other. 

I liked that Crowley would rather give up his precious car than see anything happen to Aziraphel's bookshop even though Aziraphel himself abandoned it. I think it really started picking up after Aziraphel beat the would be gangster in a game of competitive crossword solving, though.

I didn't really find the hell bits funny, not like the previous seasons. They were a bit lackluster. The heaven bits too. I did enjoy that everyone seemed to come to the same conclusion about who the culprit was independent of each other. But what I liked most about the whole thing was the ending. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who might want to watch, but I felt that it wrapped up our dynamic duo's romance in the perfect way. I couldn't have asked for a better or more complete ending and I was genuinely smiling from ear to ear for the last 15 minutes of the show. I loved that part of it.

I do think that part of what seemed off about the show might have been the necessary condensation that had to happen to get the story wrapped up within one episode instead of six. I liked the mystery element while it lasted, though. A lot of the best humor from the show probably came from Terry Prachett's writing since I think season 1 is the funniest of all and that is the only one adapted from the joint-written novel. There wasn't as much of a human element to the first half of the show either, probably because they didn't have time for side plots. 

However, since the main reason I wanted to watch was to get a satisfying ending for our dear boys, I will rate this final season a solid 7/10. The ending itself is a 10/10 but to understand it you kind of have to watch the whole show. If you don't want to watch because of all the controversy, that's perfectly understandable. I wasn't sure I wanted to watch either. However, knowing that Neil Gaiman had taken a step back from this season so that the show could get its ending without it being sullied by what he'd done did help to convince me it was worth checking it out.

(p.s. I'm watching most of my shows on Netflix, although this one was Amazon Prime, so if Netflix wants to sponsor me...)

No comments:

Post a Comment