Friday, August 13, 2021

MIA

So I've been gone a couple weeks. Not literally, just not blogging. I know that's bad for a blog and I really want to try to do reviews regularly, but I haven't been watching movies. I have watched a few shows, mostly anime. I'd love to do a specifically anime-related blog, but I feel that would have a different audience than live-action (even though I enjoy both). I did recently watch this Netflix show called Manifest which was intriguing. Another show I've been watching, which I just recently finished, is Atypical. I think Atypical is a better show than Manifest (better characters, better development, more realistic character arcs) but they are altogether different genres. While Manifest tends towards the supernatural and even the spiritual in some ways, Atypical is more about the humanity and presents a realistic depiction of realistic people with real flaws. I also just started a show called "Feel Good" which is intriguing at the offset. It's about a comedian named Mae who falls in love with a girl named George and the move in together without really knowing much about each other. In the first episode George finds out Mae is an ex-addict (from a skype call with Mae's mom in Canada) and refuses to introduce Mae to her friends (presumably because Mae is a girl, since George lies to her male friend about the gender and name of the person she's seeing). I haven't really watched past that point, but it has the potential to be an interesting show. As I watch, I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll even select it for a review.

One show I might review is Supernatural. I haven't seen all the early episodes and I'm still catching up on the more recent season, but I definitely have strong opinions about that show. Perhaps it is my religious upbringing (since the show relies heavily on Judeo-Christian mythology), or perhaps it is my love for dark cult type shows. Another one I should do a review on is Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. In fact, perhaps it would be better for me to start off with shows, both because they're shorter (episodes are typically less than an hour) and because they have more time to flush out the story and characters. I was doing a re-watch of The X-files with my Facebook group, but I didn't keep up and got desperately far behind, but that's another show I could definitely write a review on. Frasier is another one. I think this will be a good practice for movie reviews too, because I'll get used to figuring out exactly what worked and what didn't and if it was good or not so good. Episodic shows tend to have episodes that are stellar and ones that lack substance as well. 

At any rate, this is simply a filler blog post to let you know I haven't given up on the review thing yet. (oh and I haven't started reading anything yet, although a co-worker suggested what I assume is a YA novel which I might start reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment