Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Equality

Some time ago, someone asked me if I wouldn't be upset if I got passed over for a spot in college or a job for a minority candidate. At the time, I just said "no" and left it at that. However, I've been thinking. Perhaps just "no" is not enough. So here's why I wouldn't be upset.

The way I see it, there are struggles that minorities face that I do not. It's kind of like being upset that the handicap line at a ride goes faster than the other line. When you get upset that they get to go before you, it is akin to wishing whatever daily struggle they endure on yourself. There are so many struggles I hear about that will never be an issue for me. I don't have to worry that I'll get pulled over just based on the color of my skin. If I get pulled over and reach into the glove box for my insurance card, the officer doesn't arrive at my window with his weapon drawn. No one is going to see me out walking at night and think I must be up to no good.

After the hell that my daughter went through, she qualified for a wish from the "Make a Wish" foundation. I remember when we got back a friend's daughter heard that we had gone to Disney world and wished aloud that she could have gone. I would have given a hundred trips to Disney world if it meant my daughter didn't have to endure that hell. I'm sure it's the same with minorities. It's not that they want stuff given to them on a silver platter, they just want to be treated with the same respect and have the same privileges their white counterparts enjoy. In an ideal world, we would all be treated equally. Until that time comes, I'll happily give up my place in line as the price for my privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment