Monday, June 19, 2017

Trials and Tribulations

It all started at the beginning of Summer, when I decided to log into my Tarleton account and find out if my fin aide application had been accepted. Before that point, I just assumed that I would be able to continue to get financial aide until I graduated. When I went to the status page, I saw a message that said I was near or at my limit for financial aide. This message got me started worrying about if I could afford to pay out of pocket for this next semester.

I have been planning a trip to see my sister this Christmas and I have saved a considerable sum towards that end. I deduced that the only way I could possibly pay out of pocket for this semester's tuition would be if I canceled the trip. Then I started thinking if I canceled, when would be another time I could take the girls to see her. She lives in North Carolina, so the trip is a pricy and time consuming one. It's not like I could hop over and see her in a day and then hop back. Going all the way there means at least a week off work, and it has to be a week I have the girls. So I finally came to the conclusion that if I didn't go this year I probably wasn't going. That is why I wanted to avoid using that money at all costs. The other option was to put off my classes from this semester until next semester and use my tax refund to pay for it. That way, I would not have to use the money I had set aside for my trip. I even briefly considered setting up a go-fund me account to pay for what I could not pay out of pocket.

This is something that has been plaguing me all summer, until now. So I happened to log into my university e-mail account for the first time in forever last night. I don't remember why I decided to do it, but I did. When I saw the e-mail saying my financial aid application was approved, I was scratching my head. The little warning that had said I was near or at my limit was gone when I logged into the site. It had been replaced with the amount of financial aide I would be receiving. I know that this probably put me at my limit, but I am so glad that I don't have to worry about choosing between school and my long awaited Christmas with my sister.

In other news, my parents have found a place. I was really worried about them too, but I couldn't afford to help. They figured out a way to get by without my assistance, which probably would have happened sooner if I had been more firm instead of helping out when they asked. Although they will probably still ask for my help in the future, I'm not really worried about them starving to death or dying from exposure to the elements like I was before.

My writing has kind of stagnated. the magazines I ordered for this month will not be here until next month and I should go to a newsstand to find them, but the closest one would probably be at least an hour's drive away. Of course they have some magazines at the grocery store, not really anything that's on my list though. I have been reading a lot in my article writing book though. I'm learning some valuable tricks of the trade which will help me when I finally do start writing.

I did end up sending one poem off to a magazine last month and entered one contest. Still haven't gotten anywhere with my non-fiction writing and that's what I'm hoping will be my bread and butter when I step into it as a serious career. At least I don't have to worry about how I'll pay for college this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment