Monday, May 5, 2014

Field Trip

So the trip to the capitol went well. Watched a movie that was pretty much just espousing how great Texas was over and over again in as many ways as they could think of. It did state an interesting fact, which is that the Texas capital building is actually taller than the capitol building for the entire country. I guess I just don't understand the whole Texas pride thing. Sure, there are a lot of great things that have come out of Texas, but that does not take other's states contributions away. I think there are several other states I would like to at least visit and perhaps even live in.


One thing I will say is great about Texas though, is the no tax on food. That is shared by some, although not all, other states.


Anyway I learned some stuff I didn't know during the tour of the capitol grounds. I learned how the Texas legislature and house of representatives vote on laws. I also learned some stuff about artists who painted some of the giant murals that hang in the capitol building. I learned some stuff I didn't know about Santa Ana's surrender (although my mom probably tried to teach it to me at one point, she did stress Texas history). I also learned the interesting fact that there were several African American men elected to some type of office throughout the early nineteenth century, although that stopped in the early twentieth and another one was not elected until after the civil rights movement. The interesting thing was, that it was a female who was the first African American to be elected after the civil rights movement. So I guess the racism I find in my hometown does not spread to the whole state.


While I was absorbing knowledge like a sponge, my daughter was slightly less enthralled thinking more of her aching feet than anything else. Granted, it was a long walk and they did have to stand out in the sun for quite some time doing nothing in particular but waiting. I guess she was expecting it to be more fun. Then, because I left early since I was trying to get home on time to pick up my other daughters, she missed out on the funnest part. Although, to be fair I did give her the option of staying with her class. She wanted to go with me because she was tired of walking. Since I didn't make it home on time because of a traffic jam I really wish we had both stayed. I would have liked her to have had that experience.


After it was all said and done and she'd had a nap she admitted to having a little fun on her field trip. I am glad I was able to go with her at least on one field trip. I am sure that there will be more to come, not sure if they do field trips in jr. high but she still has one more grade til she gets there.


I also decided to take a hiatus on my school work. I have been lagging on my classes and this fact was only exacerbated by my internet flaking on me Saturday afternoon and not being fixed until sometime today. I was so upset. My ATM at the bank quit working that same weekend and I had to use my debit card twice to get cash back at a store because of it.


I am going to try to get some transcription work done in order to make a little extra money. It is something I can do at home and at odd hours so it works well for me as a second job. Sure it doesn't usually pay as well as even a min. wage job, but when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, you take what you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment